Why does my image upload sideways?
“When I try to add photos it turns them counter clockwise. And there is no way for me to edit them on the site. How can I fix this?”
This issue occurs if you are uploading from an iOS device (iPad, iPhone, etc.) and has something to do with “EXIF Data.”
“EXIF data” is computer code that is inserted inside of our photos at the time the photo is taken. EXIF Data tells devices and websites information about where a photo was taken, what time it was taken and what orientation the photo should be in.
Many computers & websites can’t read the EXIF data of iOS devices. This is an Apple device bug. Only photos taken with Apple products have this issue.
Here are a few ways to fix this issue:
- When you take photos, make sure the phone’s or tablet’s round ‘home’ button is on the right side.
- Save the image to your computer and use the appropriate ‘rotate’ button in the Windows Photo Viewer to manually rotate the picture. Then upload.
- Use an alternative camera app, like Camera+, instead of the iPhone’s built-in one. These apps tend to fix the pictures for you regardless of how you hold the phone.
- Take a screenshot of the photo (press the Sleep/Wake button and the home button at the same time) and use the built in ‘edit’ feature to crop out everything but the photo material.
- Use an online photo editor like PicMonkey to crop & re-save your image.